Goddess of Wanton Love

Disclaimer: These are not the days of my life. Come hither. Look closer. You may find yourself in here. The Goddess welcomes you to her temple.

Saturday, April 29

Why I Love Mutual Funds!

Yeah, it is my profession. But I’m not going to rant about the risk-return factor, how they are so much safer than playing the market, or how they are so hot in today’s market…which is growing like Jack’s beanstalk…no end in sight. Or how they can be so much easier to monitor, how they can create a fully-diversified portfolio at much lower risk, how the workings are much easier to understand than the primary market, how professionally managed they are, how convenient and flexible they are…ok ok…I will stop... :-)

But this is not why I love them. I love them because I love to shop. You don’t have to believe me. But picking out the perfect fund is much like picking out the perfect pair of shoes. You have a certain design in mind. You have a certain in budget in mind. You visit a couple of stores, in a designated shopping area…possibly famous for footwear. You go to the best brand names…the brand pull is always a major contributor in the final selection. You try out a few pairs…you get a better idea of what you want – what is not only going to look the best, but also last the longest. You weigh the price against the quality. You see the material, the make, the finish, the color, how much it costs as compared to a similar pair elsewhere. The choice is immense. The variety is mind-boggling. You may have to see where the clearance sales are…yeah me talking about rollbacks here…in case the layman didn’t realize this similitude. If you want the classiest, sexiest pair, your research must be thorough. You have to look at what everyone else is wearing. You have to see what calls to you. You have to know what is in. You have to find out which brand is making waves. You have to find a salesman who treats your feet like her/his own, who can assist you in the perfect choice. For whom, the sale translates not just into commission, but also a sense of achievement in helping you find exactly what you were looking for. I have personally spent weeks looking for the perfect black, slinky number, and found it practically in my own backyard, and finally ended up buying three pairs, just because the salesman wasn’t pushing them on to me, but was at his wit’s end to help me look for the perfect pair. Of course, your friend/neighbor/cousin/roommate must have sworn to you about one brand or the other. If you are young, you obviously go for sassier choices, you take more risks. If you aren’t, you go for something tried-and-tested. Then you accessorize your wardrobe. You find the perfect belt or handbag or to match your new shoes. If the shoes are too snazzy, the rest of the outfit will have to be toned down. Or vice versa.

Yeah. It’s also that easy. You can tell me to go get a life, because, come on, how can I liken shoe-shopping to critical financial decisions? But you gotta understand a woman and her connection with shoes, and why I chose to liken it to shoe-shopping. If you are from Mars, do feel free to think of it as your latest attempt at gizmofying yourself. But for the average joe, it IS that easy, provided you have people like me! And when I say easy, I mean it takes a very similar amount of effort – hey, shoe-shopping needs just as careful an analysis of the market situations as gizmofying would need for the Martians…and don’t you go calling me a shoe-salesman…saleswoman…

And don’t worry; my less-than-traditional investment philosophy does not less of a principal banker make! I’ll show you…show me the money.

(P.S. Please note that I have not included the exact comparisons between footwear shopping and secondary markets. For any clarifications leave a comment.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home